Tuesday, April 22, 2008

ATONEMENT

With the traffic that congested the whole of Metro Manila's streets last Tuesday due to the rush of Holy Week holidays, I decided to wait out the horrendous snarl of blaring horns by watching the movie Atonement. To be quite frank, I was never a fan of Ian McEwan's novels (because I felt that it was a bit overwrought--and I have little patience with reading so many converging plot twists), so I was prepared to sit through one of those long British dramas (and as I've heard that this book was once said to be unfilmable) and slash myself dead for convincing myself because of the advertising blurbs that it was one of the best films of the year and with all of the Oscar and BAFTA buzz.

But surprisingly, I truly enjoyed watching the period piece--notably the surprising twists and turns of the plot. Though, I must say that Keira Knightley was somewhat wooden--unless that's how the British uppercrust really react to tragical romance situations. James McAvoy is again at his acting magnificence--as well as his heartthrob best (no wonder women swoon for him even if he dons the costume of a faun.) I give the film seven stars...(Okay, okay...I'm no cineaste or film critic, please forgive this bumbling movie goer.)

No comments: