Tuesday, April 22, 2008



Across the Universe

I'm a real sucker for romantic movies--from the usual chick flicks and even, musicals. My attention span for artsy flicks is just so minimal. Well, I decided to watch this movie "Across the Universe" by Julie Taymor (of Frida acclaim) and what's my two cents on it? The plot was a major let down--boy from another country meets a girl who recently lost fiancee in Vietnam, boy and girl fall in love in the hippie 60s, boy and girl clash and separate because of politics (or should I say political apathy on the part of the boy), boy and girl realize they were made for each other and marry. The End. But though the story was typical, the Beatles music saved it from going down the drain entirely--magnificent renditions. I loved Jude singing "I Saw A Face" and "Strawberry Fields"; Lucy singing "If I Fell in Love With You"; and Prudence's " I Want to Hold Your Hand."

I think I'm going bonkers over this movie because of the music--Oh well, what the heck.

No comments: